As seen in the first part of the article, CMMS is an integral part of several industries across the world. This article will cover a few more industries that implement maintenance software to manage their assets better, reduce downtime and increase their productivity.
What are the different types of companies using CMMS?
City & State Government
- Municipalities: CMMS assists the city and state government by keeping up with the maintenance of a city in an extremely efficient manner. A maintenance system helps the officials identify problems faced by various assets of the city such as pipes, drains, sanitation systems, buildings, traffic control devices, fire hydrants, landscape maintenance, curbs and parking lots. You can track all the street segments in your city, and schedule preventive maintenance inspections for equipment that requires maintenance. You can even keep track of potholes and asphalt repairs that need to be done in various parts of the city.
- Parks and Recreation: CMMS helps in maintaining the city’s parks and recreational spaces. It helps in ensuring that fixtures, playgrounds, landscapes, drinking fountains and paved areas are kept in a good condition. Additionally, it helps you plan scheduled preventive facility management which can notify the concerned officials of necessary inspections and eliminate potential problems before they become big.
- Water and Wastewater: Supplying clean water to people across the city is an important task. CMMS helps wastewater treatment plants by implementing maintenance schedule plans and helping in setting up preventive maintenance schedules for pumps, valves, pipes, grinders and other equipment. Furthermore, it helps the plant operators to control processes and equipment to remove or destroy harmful materials, chemical compounds, and microorganisms from the water before supplying it to the residents of the city.
- Hospitals/Medical Facilities: CMMS in hospitals and other medical facilities help in ensuring that the service requests are attended and responded to quickly. This helps in improving the service and overall efficiency. Further, preventive maintenance schedules can be set up to maintain operations without interruption. Equipment like generators, X-ray machines, heart monitors, electric beds, wheelchairs, sterilizing equipment, etc., need to be maintained well, which can be achieved through maintenance software.
- Biomed: It is crucial to ensure that regulatory compliance is achieved in various biomedical operations. With the help of CMMS, you can achieve this goal. You can also keep track of the maintenance required for all critical equipment and machinery. Preventive maintenance schedules may be created through CMMS to provide a healthy environment without affecting the patient’s treatment. It helps in responding quickly to service requests. Additionally, CMMS helps in logically capturing the data encapsulating all the maintenance activities done to the life-saving equipment, which can further be reported easily for regulatory bodies and auditors.
- Medical Device Manufacturing: Maintenance systems have certain features that help those manufacturing medical devices. The features include electronic signature capture, a report generator, a complete audit trail, a record of changes made in the system and configurable procedures that help in building electronic task checklists.
- Senior Living Facilities: CMMS helps in keeping track of the maintenance of every component that is part of a senior living facility. In fact, a well-implemented CMMS helps in reducing costs, improving productivity, along with providing a high level of service to its residents. Further, you can extend the life of the assets within the facility, reduce downtime, lower the cost of maintenance and, most importantly, provide a healthy and clean environment.
- Building Management: The challenges of managing a building can be addressed by implementing CMMS. You can manage maintenance requests from employees within the building, maintain a preventive maintenance schedule, be more organized, track labor and inventory expenses, and generate reports. Building facilities like HVAC units, circuit breakers, computer systems, lighting, etc. can be maintained through preventive maintenance schedules that you can set up easily using a maintenance software system.
- Communication Centers: Implementing CMMS will enable you to track the maintenance of all the communication centre equipment such as power generators, towers, switchboards, etc. The system will also help you in calculating the overall maintenance costs and minimizing replacement costs by performing scheduled preventive routines on expensive equipment such as air coolers, routers and hubs, generators, wireless equipment, etc.
- Data Centers: A maintenance software system helps in tracking and managing the maintenance of servers, coolers, generators and other equipment within data centers. It is important to resolve potential maintenance issues even before they occur so that the important business data doesn’t get compromised, lost or stolen.
- Property Management: CMMS’s web-based applications will aid you in operating your property more efficiently and allows you to offer greater service to your tenants. They can log onto the ‘request maintenance’ section to bring attention to their problems, and you can track these requests as they are completed. Furthermore, you can easily track work orders and general maintenance costs.
- Resorts and Hotels: CMMS software helps in storing information on different floors, rooms, buildings and equipment within your hotel or resort. It also helps in tracking the maintenance costs, extending asset life, tracking maintenance and providing a higher level of service to the customer. You can set up preventive maintenance procedures for HVAC units and generators to prevent failures.
CMMS helps in monitoring the assets of different stores across the city or country. The stores can request a product through its web-based application and check its availability in any store, regardless of the store’s location. CMMS software can store information about various vendors, improve labor productivity, minimize inventory costs and provide a better service to customers.
To summarize, CMMS is an important part of almost every existing industry. No matter the industry you are in, you would benefit from implementing a maintenance system. So, go ahead and take the plunge, if you haven’t already. Don’t second guess anymore.