Hines Amazon needed a consistent, scalable asset management planning program that could keep pace with their anticipated rate of growth, to replace a legacy CMMS that could not do so.
The AM software needed to meet their system requirements and business processes. Consistency was an integral part of the equation, especially for asset location, class hierarchies, and a uniform asset numbering schema that could scale up to global facilities. A real challenge when you recognize that not all assets are created equal and criticality can vary greatly between two similar assets.
Hines Amazon required every asset located throughout 25 million square feet of facility space to be accounted for. From every toilet and HVAC unit, to every espresso machine and office chair in 170 different buildings.
02 Why NEXGEN?
Decision-makers at Hines Amazon recognized NEXGEN’s unique competitive advantage of future-forward technology, a track record of success, and highly-experienced subject matter experts.
“WE CHOSE NEXGEN ASSET MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE FOR OUR FACILITIES MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE PROGRAM BECAUSE THEIR ADVANCED FUNCTIONALITIES ALLOWED US TO CONFIGURE THE [ASSET MANAGEMENT] SYSTEM TO FIT OUR BUSINESS PROCESSES AND REQUIREMENTS,” SAYS BOB TRIBO, SR. TECHNICAL OPERATIONS MANAGER, ENGINEERING, HINES AMAZON. “NEXGEN CAN BE EASILY CONFIGURED BY US (NOT A PROGRAMMER) TO SUPPORT THOSE REQUIREMENTS.”
Hines Amazon also recognized NEXGEN’s intuitive user interface, easy-to-use mobile applications, and deep experience throughout the implementation and client success teams. This helped to ensure the right system could be deployed to fit their asset management goals, and scale up at the required pace, according to Tribo.
NEXGEN’s strategic approach to Hines Amazon’s AM planning encompassed the following components:
- Developing an asset lifecycle plan for each class
- Establishing forecast funding requirements for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25-year increments
- Identifying asset risk, based on impacts and probability of failures
- Setting a budget for capital planning
- Prioritizing capital and operational expenditures, based on scenarios
- Performing condition assessments on all assets with higher risk factors
NEXGEN’s programmatic asset management approach delivers a consistent, scalable AM program for 170 Hines Amazon facilities across North and South America.
With a single source of information, NEXGEN’s hosted software solution is ensuring maximum visibility of asset use, performance, costs, and risk, from facilities to finance, for 25 Million square feet of building space.
A host of game-changing asset management planning deliverables from NEXGEN include:
- A reactive, preventive, corrective, and proactive work order management system.
- A condition assessment program to accurately, and consistently, validate field conditions of assets and life cycle plans, while also capturing field-based Asset Condition Index.
- A consistent Asset Risk Index, enabling the accurate comparison of all assets in the portfolio. This required a uniform approach to the asset impact and asset probability indexes, based on location, class, or asset level.
- Built-in asset management best practices and intelligence, adding value to the implementation of the new system.
“NEXGEN PROVIDES US WITH A COMPREHENSIVE ASSET INVENTORY IN ONE CENTRAL REPOSITORY WITH CONSISTENT ASSET CLASSES, LOCATIONS, AND NUMBERING SCHEMAS,” SAYS TRIBO. “THIS HELPS ENSURE COMPLIANCE ON OUR SERVICE LEVELS—TO PERFORM PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON ASSETS THAT REQUIRE IT. NEXGEN ALSO GIVES US THE TOOLS TO GENERATE [A NEW LEVEL OF] LIFE CYCLE PLANNING AND FUNDING FORECAST, TO BETTER [CAPITAL] PLAN FOR THE FUTURE.”
With the help of NEXGEN, Hines Amazon is successfully managing and optimizing the performance of:
- 18,000+ assets, organized by location and class
- 21,000+ work orders (YTD)
- 1,350 PM plans (YTD)
- 56 vendors utilizing NEXGEN’s Contractor Portal